Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Joys of Jr High

     Every once in a while a jr higher develops a crush on me. Well, it’s not just me, but all the leaders get a little crusher here or there. Anyways, two years ago it was Cooper. He was always an affectionate kid but he was also very touchy-feely, leaning against me and hugging me awkwardly all too often. Over the years we had many talks about what was appropriate and what wasn't. Apparently these talks didn't sink in.
     Last week I was signing kids in for an event (which cost $30) when Cooper (now 16) walked up to the table. I said, "Hey Cooper! You owe me 30 bucks." He then proceeded to lean over the table, smile mischievously and say "How about 20 and dinner?" Now, I laughed of course, because it's a great line, and smiling at him replied with, "Give me the money Coop." He came around the table, put his hands down on it, leaned in and said in all seriousness, "How about 40 and dinner?"
     I couldn't handle it. I wanted to laugh but I didn’t want to encourage him so I held it in. I was also entirely embarrassed and worried that the other leaders were watching. Looking down I bluntly said, "Nope." and put out my hand for the money. After a second or two where I could feel him starting at me he handed me the money and moved on to the next station.
     Oh, if only the story where over here.
     Last night I went to see Where the Wild Things Are with some of the youth group leaders. Who ends up meeting us there? Yep. Cooper. How does he just show up at a movie a few days after the awkwardness? I was fretful by the time I got to the Plaza. When I saw him he looked at me with this little glimmer of joy in his eye and said, "Jackie!" with a bit too much enthusiasm. I smiled the best I could manage and hurried past his outstretched arms and bought my ticket. I was hesitant to go to the bathroom because I was worried that Rachel (who knew the whole story and thought it was hilarious) would make me sit next to him, but, God is good. As I entered I saw Cooper on the end. So I of course went to sit next to him and we are now in love. Right. I sat five seats away and didn't make eye contact the entire movie. At the end of the night our usual hug was replaced with a quick wave goodbye.

It was a great line, but really now…

4 comments:

  1. i really liked that story.
    and i'm really glad that you went with "a bunch of balloons."
    and i'm really glad that you're blogging now.

    welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, wow.
    You're quick.
    And thank you.
    I like it too. Blogging I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are hilarious. Please post often so that you can entertain me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay!!!

    now get a twitter.
    or like get a phone that supports it.

    and pshhh... did you for reals think i would make you sit next to him for that whole movie?

    ReplyDelete